13 Jul Fasig-Tipton July kicks off Yearling Sale Season
The Fasig-Tipton July Selected Yearling Sale was held this week in Lexington, and served as the kickoff to the yearling sales season in North America.
A boutique sale, with around 300 entries in one day, the Fasig-Tipton July Sale featured exciting yearlings by first crop sires along with some of the most popular stallions in the country. Seven Horse Country members had consignments, and ten members had stallions that were represented with yearlings.
Farms that have consignments at these sales work with the yearlings for months in advance to get them prepared for the sale. Yearling prep, as it is known in the racing industry, involves daily exercise to keep the fitness levels up and build muscle tone, handling the horses to ensure they are easy to work with and grooming to ensure that the horses look great for potential buyers!
Once horses arrive at the sale grounds, they will be shown to potential buyers who view the horses as they are walking and examine their conformation to determine if they are interested in purchasing the horse. Along with viewing the ‘physical’ of the horse, buyers will analyze their pedigree and the race records of their maternal and paternal families.
The following Horse Country members offered consignments at the Fasig-Tipton July Sale.
- Airdrie Stud – 3 horses sold for a total of $280,000, including a $130,000 colt by Summer Front.
- Darby Dan – 4 horses sold for a total of $322,000, including a $160,000 colt by Copper Bullet.
- Denali Stud – 4 horses sold for a total of $770,000, including a $320,000 colt by Munnings.
- Gainesway Farm – 8 horses sold for a total of $2,035,000, including the sales-topping $600,000 colt by Curlin.
- Lane’s End Farm – 1 colt by Catholic Boy sold for a total of $10,000.
- Mill Ridge Farm – 1 colt by Practical Joke sold for a total of $20,000.
- Taylor Made Sales – 26 horses sold for a total of $2,833,000, including a $225,000 colt by Candy Ride.
The Fasig-Tipton July Sale is the first time that yearlings by a number of new stallions have been available for public offering. These stallions entered stud in 2020, and currently stand at a Horse Country member farm.
- Audible (WinStar Farm) – nine yearlings sold for a total of $1,230,000.
- Catalina Cruiser (Lane’s End Farm) – five yearlings sold for a total of $385,000.
- Copper Bullet (Darby Dan Farm) – three yearlings sold for a total of $288,000.
- Enticed (Godolphin at Jonabell) – three yearlings sold for a total of $180,000.
- Flameaway (Darby Dan Farm) – five yearlings sold for a total of $427,000
- Maximus Mischief (Spendthrift Farm) – ten yearlings sold for a total of $700,000
- Mitole (Spendthrift Farm) – five yearlings sold for a total of $542,000
- Omaha Beach (Spendthrift Farm) – five yearlings sold for a total of $1,180,000
- Preservationist (Airdrie Stud) – one yearling sold for a total of $50,000
- Vino Rosso (Spendthrift Farm) – eleven yearlings sold for a total of $1,490,000
For more information on Fasig-Tipton, please visit their website.