Frequently Asked Questions
A list of the most frequently asked questions from our tour attendees. Click on each topic to see related questions. Don’t see your question answered here? Give us a call at 859-963-1004 or email us at [email protected]
What type of tour experiences are there?
- Horse Country offers tours at 30 different locations that include stallion farms, nurseries with mares and foals, veterinary clinics, aftercare facilities, a sport horse farm, a racetrack, and an equine feed mill!
How long are the tours?
- Tours range from 1 to 2 hours in length, though most tours are approximately one hour. The length of each experience will be noted in the tour description. Tours require walking/standing throughout the duration of the tour.
How do I find out about upcoming tour availability?
- Subscribe to our email updates through our website to be automatically notified of new tour dates and promotional packages as they become available. Our subscribers are always given advanced notice of when tour tickets will go on sale to the public.
How do I book tickets for a tour?
- Know the location you’re planning to visit? Choose ‘Book Your Tour’ in the top navigation bar and use the search field to find your location to see date availability. Also within “Book Your Tour’ are other search filters. Follow the prompts to purchase your tickets. Be sure to choose your location, dates and times carefully! Tickets are non-transferable between locations, and requests for cancellation/refund must be made 48-business hours in advance of the tour. Business hours are considered Mon-Fri 8:30am – 5pm Eastern Time.
How much do the tours cost?
- Tickets start at $20 per adult per tour and $11 per child (under 12 years old) per tour, and vary by location and experience.
May I walk up to a tour at its scheduled time without advance ticket purchase?
- No. Every individual guest must be ticketed in advance. On-site/on-the-spot reservations are not currently available. When you purchase your ticket, you will receive an email confirmation but we do not have paper tickets to present to the location.
What are the extra fees on my tickets?
- A 15% fee is collected by our booking platform AnyRoad to cover service fees and credit card processing. This fee is not received by Horse Country and is not eligible for refund if a cancellation is requested.
Can my baby/toddler come? Do they need a ticket?
- Children ages 0-2 years old do not need a purchased ticket. However, for safety reasons, the infant/toddler will need to be carried or in a stroller for the duration of the tour. Some Horse Country tours are better suited for children than others. Feel free to give the Horse Country office a call if you have questions about your group: [email protected] or 859-963-1004.
Is there a military/senior/student discount?
- Retired or active members of the military may call our office to receive a 10% discount on reservations for experiences not categorized as “unique experiences.”
Currently, there is no senior/student discount. Seniors and students may book their ticket types according to their age group (kids 2-12, adults 13+).
Do I have to have paper tickets?
- No! Our ticketing system will email you a confirmation of your order, but there are no physical/paper tickets to print or present at the time of the tour. Your host location will have you on a list of confirmed guests according to your confirmed transaction. If you did not receive an email confirmation at the time of purchase, please reach out to us: 859-963-1004 or [email protected] to confirm the status of your reservation.
Is a tip or gratuity expected?
- It’s never expected or required, but you are welcome to unless otherwise instructed by the guide.
Does Horse Country have gift certificates?
- Yes! Horse Country has a gift certificate program. Gift certificate codes are delivered via email – there is no physical gift card/certificate. The certificates are one-time use only and can be used on all experiences in Horse Country. To purchase a gift certificate and learn more about it, see here.
What is Horse Country’s cancellation policy?
- Rescheduling tours (pending availability) or cancellations require notice of at least 48 business hours before the tour time. Business hours are considered Mon-Fri 8:30am – 5pm Eastern Time. Tickets for tours during peak tourism times (Kentucky Derby week, Breeders’ Cup week, etc) will be non-refundable. Cancellations are not available for weather or specific horses not being available. In case of a weather-related cancellation, a rain date will be offered. For guest no-show or late arrivals, refunds will not be issued. Tours are rain or shine. The service fee is always non-refundable. For information related to cancellations & bookings impacted by COVID-19, please see this page.
What if the weather is bad?
- Tours are conducted rain or shine; in the case of severe weather, a cancellation may occur with rain check or refund.
When should I arrive for my tour?
- We ask that guests do not arrive to a location any earlier than 15 minutes prior to the start of the tour. Please refer to your email order confirmation to see the exact instructions on when to arrive for your tour.
Do you provide transportation to the different farms?
- We do not provide transportation between farms. If you need recommendations/referrals to professional tour operators in the area, please reach out to the Horse Country team at 859-963-1004 or [email protected]
How long will it take me to get from one place to the other?
- ‘Book a Tour’ or ‘Calendar’ and see the address of each tour location and then use Google Maps to look up directions in between the tour locations. You can also use our map function to identify locations in proximity to a starting point of your choosing. Please note that the tours run on a scheduled time and will not wait for attendees who arrive late to the tour.
Can I take an Uber/Lyft to my tour?
- Most farms allow guests to arrive via rideshare, but we ask that you have a scheduled ride to leave the farm once your experience has finished. Certain farms do not allow arrivals or pickups by rideshare, which will be denoted in the experience description. If you have a question regarding a certain farm, please call our team at 859-963-1004 or [email protected]
We need help with transportation / itinerary / want to work with a tour operator – who should we contact?
- If you need recommendations/referrals to professional tour operators in the area, please reach out to our team at 859-963-1004 or [email protected]
Can we arrive in an RV?
- Parking can be limited at different tour locations so please be sure to contact Horse Country at 859-963-1004 to confirm if your preferred tour location can accommodate an RV.
Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! We are happy to pass on special requests to the tour locations for approval on a case-by-case basis, please click here to learn more about our private tour availability. You can also ‘buy out’ a full tour at a location with availability. Guides are available to plan private/customized tour experiences. Please contact us at 859-963-1004 or at [email protected]
Do you offer large group tours (20+)?
- Yes! Much like private tours, we are happy to pass on special request to tour locations for approval on a case-by-case basis. Private and custom group experiences are perfect for making memories in Horse Country with your colleagues, staff, family and friends. If you are a professional tour/motorcoach operator or group travel provider, we welcome your requests too. Click here to submit an information request form.
Is there a bundling discount?
- There is not at this time.
Can I bring my dog?
- Horse Country loves pets! However, for the safety and well being of all animals and humans, Horse Country guests are not permitted to bring personal pets to member locations during tours. The animals may not participate in a tour, nor may they remain in a vehicle on property during the duration of the tour.
Where should I eat?
- There are many wonderful restaurants to check out here in Lexington for different tastes, interests and budgets. Please go to www.visitlex.com for information of restaurants in the area. You can also request a copy of Beyond Grits from VisitLEX – the locals love these unique picks.
Where should I stay?
- Please go to www.visitlex.com for information on hotels and other places to stay in the area.
What else should I do while I am here?
- Check out our suggested itineraries for ideas on things to do, see and eat while you are visiting Central Kentucky!